Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Colorway Chronicles: Macaw

Sometimes a colorway is born completely out of experimentation. "Macaw" is one such colorway.

I wanted to play with some dyes in the primary colorways and a technique that didn't allow much bleed/blend to see if I could control how much they would overlap and blend into secondary and tertiary colors. With this dye combination, I knew the "worst" outcome would be a rainbow skein... the best outcome would be isolated colors with little overlap and more of a tonal transition. And that is exactly what happened.

Much like the feathers of a Macaw, the colors are individual and do not mix to become other colors, but rather glaze over each other for a much more tonal effect, and you get this rich, tropical tribute to a very colorful friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I'm back and so's my yarn!

Wednesday's Child on Tap Monkey I'm very proud to announce that I've been pulled back out of retirement, and will be dyeing yarn...

Popular Posts