Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Jack-o-Lantern Cap


100% Cotton Handknit Infant/Baby Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Hat/Cap Handknit


I just finished this one last night. I've posted him to northwind.etsy.com as I have had a couple of requests for this style.

I've decided to make all of my Jack-o-Lanterns unique - no two faces will be alike.

To make this one, I used graph paper and colored in a classic face design. His mouth is purposely lop-sided. I love this pattern, there are just so many options!

Ok, here's the basic pattern (This is for the original Fruit Cap design. I have altered it for the Jack-o-Lantern, et. al):

Use Size #7 DPN

Cast on 72 (80, 88) STS and K evenly for 18 (20, 22) rows.

To add Strawberry Seeds:

Row 1: K7 MC, K1 Green. Repeat to end of row

Row 2-4: K MC

Row 5: K3 MC, K1 Green, { K7, K1 Green } Repeat brackets to end, K remaining MC

Row 6-8: K MC

Repeat Rows 1-8 if extra length is needed.

When cap measures 4 1/2" (4 3/4", 5") and there are three solid rows of MC begin leaf pattern.

Top Leaves:

Row 1: K7 MC, K1 Green, repeat

Row 2: K5 MC, K3 Green, repeat

Row 3: K3 MC, K5 Green, repeat

Row 4: K1 MC, K7 Green, repeat

Row 5: K row Green

Row 6: K7 Green, K2TOG, repeat

Row 7: K6 Green, K2TOG, repeat

Row 8: K5 Green, K2TOG, repeat

Row 9: K4 Green, K2TOG, repeat

Row 10: K3 Green, K2TOG, repeat

Row 11: K2 Green, K2TOG, repeat

Row 12: K1 Green, K2TOG, repeat

Row 13: K2TOG, repeat

One ST should remain from each leaf. K these STS for 6 rows. K2TOG around and pull tail to shape stem. Secure tail.

To increase the size of the hat on this pattern, always use multiples of 8 stitches in your cast on. Rows increase by mulitple of 2 and length with multiples of 1/4".

Pattern courtesy of Ann Norling (tm)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I'm back and so's my yarn!

Wednesday's Child on Tap Monkey I'm very proud to announce that I've been pulled back out of retirement, and will be dyeing yarn...

Popular Posts