Sunday, December 11, 2022

Organized or Obsessed?

 

I recently purchased a couple circular needles for a project and upon receipt, employed them immediately. Not too far into that project I discovered that I needed to change needles due to a gauge issue. When I checked my needle stock, I found I was going to have to purchase needles again to fill that need. I found this really frustrating and decided it was time to update my inventory list on Ravelry, and, if I was going to have to place another order, should really use my inventory list to ascertain gaps that needed filling.

To be sure I was getting an accurate inventory, I cleared the needle list I had in Ravelry and started from zero. I went through all my needle cases. I gathered project bags. I listed each needle, even designating brands. I then created a separate spreadsheet for my circulars that I could color-code and manipulate to get a better handle on gaps and my needs.

I placed my order - a Christmas gift to myself - and purchased needles.

When the needles arrived, I pulled out my handy spreadsheet, filled in the newest additions and calculated how I could store them to make best use of my needle cases. I color coded my inventory spreadsheet and pulled out my handy label maker and went to work re-organizing my entire circular needle collection. 

Approximately two hours later, very proud of myself, I had one complete, hyper organized circular collection, complete with laminated reference charts. I was never going to buy duplicates again, I was always going to know not only that I had the needle, but where to find it. I rewarded myself with a little knitting time on the sofa. I settled in, pulled out my project bag and immediately found two circular needles I'd missed, and recently replaced. 

Spreadsheets are editable and there is always a knitting friend who can make use of your duplicate needles if you can't find another project to cast on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I'm back and so's my yarn!

Wednesday's Child on Tap Monkey I'm very proud to announce that I've been pulled back out of retirement, and will be dyeing yarn...

Popular Posts