Friday, July 26, 2013

Kind of like the dentist's chair...

Ever notice when you're in the dentist chair and they tell you to breathe through your nose so that you don't gag, you suddenly don't have a nose and you are completely incapable of doing anything but focusing on how hard you're breathing, gasping, gagging and panting through your mouth?

I broke my wrist.  Actually, it's a stress fracture in my right wrist - my dominate hand of course.  And so, I'm wearing a brace.  I'm grateful for that.  I'd really hate a cast, but not as much as I'm hating the other part of this: I'm supposed to refrain from using my wrist i.e. no knitting.  Typing might even be pushing it.

Because I'm not supposed to knit, it is ALL I CAN THINK OF.  It's making me nuts.  I'm experiencing the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

Okay, no, not all five stages... yet.

I've experienced denial, in which I knit anyway and made it hurt incredibly worse.

Anger - oh yeah.  Mad at everyone reminding me not to knit, mad at the injury, mad at myself for knitting an making it worse, mad, mad mad!

Bargaining: just passing through there now on my way to depression.  I tried to convince my husband that I could knit a sock.  It would be much lighter than the sweater, smaller movements, less strain.  He shook his head and said "Honey, you really just need to let it rest and heal."  Damn.  Bring on the depression.  Please let it be brief.  I feel like acceptance will feel better.

Until then, I'll be staring at my WIPs longingly, printing off patterns in my queue, reading knitting books and taking Craftsy classes - basically doing everything knitting except, well, knitting.

What knitting books should I be adding to my library during my down time?

No comments:

Post a Comment