Saturday, May 18, 2013

Look Mom, No Cable Needle!

So, I'm working on the last design for the sock pattern collection I'm releasing in June, knitting up the last sample actually, and it has a cable.   I've heard a lot about cabling without a needle, and I've attempted it a couple of times (literally, like twice) and it really "wasn't my thing," but on this sock, I decided to give it another go.  I'm in love!  I don't know that I'll be using this technique for large complicated cables on bigger yarns (I'll eat these words later, I'm sure), but for this project, it's the perfect answer.  What inspired me to make the change?  Needle clutter.  See, I like to knit socks on DPNs.  Yes, I've tried other methods.  Double Pointed Needles are my "go to gadgets" for socks.  But throw in an extra needle for cables and things start to get complicated.  I found on this particular sock that I felt like I was missing a hand and trying to juggle needles.  I also learned that I needed to loosen my tension slightly in order to cable by this method, but for the ease and speed, that was an easy concession to make.  Here is a great video demonstrating cabling without a cable needle should you wish to give it a go:

No comments:

Post a Comment