Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Jewelry and Sculptural Bead Design

Here's a little bit about the artwork I do.

I bead. I love to bead. But when I say bead, I'm not talking about stringing a bunch of beads on one cord, adding a clasp and calling it a necklace. I'm talking about weaving intricate designs using numerous techniques such as Peyote, Brick, Square, Ladder and Fringe stitches. I also do freeform stitching, loomwork, and object embellishment through beaded embroidery.

I'm currently scheduled to teach two different classes on Art Doll Beaded Embroidery in Albuquerque. I'm very excited about this opportunity. I love sharing my work and helping others to discover their own creativity.

I currently have several Art Dolls in progress including:
  • "Stella - Beach Intentions" - my newest design - this one literally had me out of bed in the middle of the night madly sketching. Stella is the first of my works to have accessories, including a beach towel, beach bag, and several others I'm still developing.
  • An un-named dragon that may take me the rest of my life to complete.
  • "Rain" - my oldest work in progress, but also the closest one to done.

I have many dolls that have been completed and found homes:
  • Pat
  • Dina
  • Mother Earth

The doll pictured to the left is Mother Earth.

Mother Earth is covered in beaded depictions of nature, including 3 dimensional waves crashing on a pebbled beach, vines and flowers that grow towards her sunlit face, vast blue skies and a population of creatures including a lizard, ladybug, dragonflies, butterfly, bee and beehive, fish, crab, starfish, bird, detailed hand beaded birds nest with eggs, and a spider hanging from Mother Earth's glassy spiderweb shawl. All surfaces are covered 100% in beads. Core is muslin with polyester fill.

Mother Earth has enjoyed long periods of display at Morning Calm Art Gallery and The Red Door Books & More - both in Corrales, NM, and was one of the 169 entries in Beadwork Magazine's "The Beaded Figure" juried exhibit - entry photo can be seen online at: http://www.interweave.com/bead/events/Beaded_Fig_submissions4.asp


Here are some photos of my recent jewelry work:

Northeast American Indian Abenaki Bear Paw Necklace / Choker
Bear Paw is best known in Native American culture as Good Omen
This is a One of a Kind Piece - There is no pattern in existence.
Native American Thunderbird Necklace / Choker
In the legends of native North Americans, the thunderbird is a powerful spirit in the form of a bird. Lightning flashes from its beak, and the beating of its wings is creates the thunder. The thunderbird petroglyph symbol has been found across Canada and the United States and within nearly all Native North American people’s legends and stories.
This is a One of a Kind Piece - There is no pattern in existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I'm back and so's my yarn!

Wednesday's Child on Tap Monkey I'm very proud to announce that I've been pulled back out of retirement, and will be dyeing yarn...

Popular Posts