Tuesday, April 7, 2015

WIP strategy fail

Sometimes things just don't work out, no matter how good our intentions.

I've been working hard to get my WIP pile down. One of the strategies I've been employing is the 15(ish) minutes a day(ish), in which I focus on one WIP for a short period of time to eat away at the task. I've been focusing on completing a second sock for about 2 weeks now. To make this seem more successful, I was NOT comparing my progress against the first sock.

Fail. This "not comparing" so as to be surprised by my progress was not a good strategy.

I discovered my fail during my lunch break at work today. I was knitting along in the sun, feeling very proud of myself that I'd made such progress. I knew I was very close to the end of the leg on this toe up pattern and finally chose to pull out the first sock to compare. I was sure I was going to be finishing a cuff over tomorrow's lunch and celebrating the completion of another beautiful pair of socks. NOPE; not unless I shorten one of my feet by an inch and a half. UGH. I started the heel too soon on my second sock, and the only way to correct it is to rip out the entire leg and heel, back to the foot.

I'm horribly disappointed. So much so that I seriously considered throwing the whole project in the trash. I've also considered simply ripping out both socks and putting the yarn back into my stash.

My husband is very supportive. He says I should just rip back and do it right, which is ultimately the right answer, but I am concerned about how well this yarn will rip back. This yarn is a 80% wool / 20% nylon, but it is incredibly soft... almost feels like it has some cotton content.

I think this project is headed for time out until I find strength enough in my heartache to make a solid decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment