Sunday, November 22, 2015

Creating Time

The older I get, the faster the years seem to pass me by. This year certainly went quickly, but looking back on it, I think I filled it up pretty well.

2015 saw the launch of my indie-yarn line Dye Monkey Yarns, which has been a tremendous amount of fun.  I've loved developing new colorways . I've also loved developing new patterns specifically for those yarns, and had the pleasure of releasing my Signature Series Kits - pattern/yarn combos for purchase.

2015 also saw a continuation of my pattern design work. I released new patterns for two cowls, three shawls and a hat - whether as individual patterns or as part of a kit.  I have patterns for a hat and a shawl still in the tech edit process waiting for release, yet another shawl being test knit, and so many ideas for more patterns my head explodes for the possibilities! I'm so in love with the develop and design process. I wish I could dedicate more time to it.

And that is the big thing... finding more time to dedicate to what I love. I think we all struggle with that. Don't get me wrong - I don't hate my day job. In fact I really enjoy my "real job" and gain a sense of fulfillment out of it, but it does take a significant amount of time from all the other things I love - my home & family, dyeing, knitting, reading, writing, cooking...

This year, as a gift to myself, my husband and I will be renovating my studio. I talk about wanting more time to do the things I love, and sometimes the best way to make time is to remove the things that slow us down.  Right now, my studio slows me down, mentally, emotionally, even physically.

This renovation will be refining and refreshing. We'll be taking out the scruffy old, stained carpet that depresses and embarrasses me and putting in a floating vinyl "wood" floor.  We're going to paint the walls in colors I love, remove the panel doors from the closets that are always open anyway, and add a bookshelf to consolidate all the knitting and dyeing books into one area. (I currently have books tucked into six widespread locations throughout the house!) The project will be generally updating the space to provide me an organized, friendly work space.

We've got a week off from our jobs to make this happen, and although I know it's going to be a lot of work, I'm looking forward to it. Not only will I get a new workspace, I'll get a week at home, working with my husband to improve our space, an activity we really enjoy. I'm betting I can work some dyeing, knitting, reading, writing and cooking in to that week too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I'm back and so's my yarn!

Wednesday's Child on Tap Monkey I'm very proud to announce that I've been pulled back out of retirement, and will be dyeing yarn...

Popular Posts